Monday, November 20, 2006

Arizon Sen. John McCain expresses concern about party platforms, I'm concerned about his.

John McCain is my choice for president in 2008. Let me just put that out there.

But, I a must say I am a bit concerned with his positions. Why?

He believes in small government.
He opposed the war in Iraq, but now that we are there, he has taken a stance that we have to finish what we started in order to preserve stability in region.

McCain does seem to have a firm grasp on his strengths. According ot a Business Journal report, he told a conservative political action committee this week that he felt the party's greatest strength was in the weakness of the Democratic party.

"The election was not an affirmation of the other party's program. Try as hard as I could, I couldn't find much evidence that my Democratic friends were offering anything that resembled a coherent platform or principled leadership on the critical issues that confront us today," McCain [said].

McCain wants a return to traditional Republican values of limited government. He says he has faith in the conservative nature of Americans. I like it.

Here are my concerns.

McCain is governor of the only of eight states to reject a ban on gay marriage this midterm election. I need to know if he accredits this to the conservative belief in limited government, or if he recognizes that there is a significant liberal contingent in this country that wants to see equal rights for everyone.

Second, he says he believes in small government, but he wants us to stay in Iraq and embed American personnel in their police force. This says American Colonialism to me.

I hope to hear a clarification on how he justifies these positions... soon.

No comments: