Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Coverage

Today is the big day, the one that we political geeks wait two years for. On the second Tuesday in November of every even year, we are the ones who sit in front of our televisions (usually two or three in my case - one on CNN, one on FOX, and one to watch my favorite episodes of Six Feet Under in the down time) with multiple editions of various newspapers spread across the coffee table and our laptops handy to post comments on web pages and track minute-by-minute exit poll updates throughout the country.

What will I be watching tonight?

Proposed constitutional amendments to ban gay marriage in eight states:
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Colorado
  • South Dakota
  • South Carolina
  • Arizona
  • Idaho
  • Tennessee

Congress

Rick Santorum has got to go in Pennsylvania. My vote is going toward the pet-rock, Bob Casey, not because of his glowing qualification, but because Santorum is insane.

Tammy Baldwin, an openly gay congresswoman from Wisconsin, and of course, Barney Frank, because he's entertaining.

Governors

Ed Rendell is on the top of my list because, well, Ed Rendell is the man. I actually would love to see Ed Rendell for President in 2012.

Let us not forget dear Arny. I love Arnold Schwarzenegger for all that he has done reshaping the state of California after the havoc that Grey Davis wreaked there, even if he did veto the gay marriage bill. I only wish that I didn't have to double check the spelling of his name every time I write it.

States

Minnesota has some interesting races going on, namely Sen. Paul Koering's race for re-election.

In Colorado, there is the medical marijuana bill, which is always entertaining.

And, of course, California leads the pack with seven propositions on the ballot, inclusing two that address immigration issues. Schwarzenegger himself put three props on the ballot.

It's going to be fun. We'll keep you posted.

No comments: