Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Temple Society of Professional Journalists- or TUSPJ

I founded this little project of mine in November of 2005.

With the assistance of some loyal profs and a few cohorts - Erica, Adam, Tiffany and Rachel - it has actually become a functioning student organization at Temple.

We had a big week.

We unveiled our new logo (above). After running an unsuccessful competition for designs from Tyler School of Art, I created my own entry. It won. Not because of its amazing artistic merit, but because the other entries we recieved were so lame.

I decided that entering the contest was not a conflict of interest, so long as returned the $50 cash prize to the organization... Although I have to admit, it was difficult to turn down considering by bank account balance was $2.18 at the time.

Anyway, here it is.
We recruited a new advisor. Susan J has been our greatest supporter from the start. She was member as an undergrad. She allows us to promote in her classes. We even stole our t-shirt slogan from her idea: "Journalist Probe Deeper"

Above all, I am excited to have Susan J as an advisor because she is inspirational. Hey, she inspired me to start this blog.

Get to know her better at her own blog Citizen of Philadelphia

We launched our web site. TUSPJ Online
No discredit to Anthony for his services, but I wish I knew html and Dreamweaver, because with all of the time I dedicated to gathering and writing the content of the site, I should have done it myself. I would have done it better, too. Then I could have put it in MY portfolio.
(You like that should'a, would'a, could'a? My grandpa must be so proud)

But what do you think of that front page logo?
They asked for a can of Milwakee's Best. I told them that a can of Beast might send the message that we have low self-esteem. Besides, journalists and scotch have a relationship that goes back a long way.

At least I can put that in my portfolio.

No comments: